Sunday 13 April 2008

A new and improved Multimap…

In reply to Julian Skeels's blog entry on the Multimap website regarding their aquisition by Microsoft. Posted on the Multimap website on April 11th 2008.

As UK users of maps.live.com are aware, the service is now run by Multimap. I thought I catch up with good old Julian to see what this is all about as it outraged some users. I'm sure their number is of no significance and rather a grumpy minority like this Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14574166409&ref=mf, asking to restore the overcomplicated maps.live.com for UK users. Some are now using http://maps.live.com/?mkt=en-us bypassing Multimap!!! Why would anyone want that?? ;-)

14th April 2008. Blog comment entry number 290..something, to Julian's post. Of which none is visible on the Multimap website.

Dear Julian

Nice to hear from you. I hope you don't mind if I just quickly comment?

Julian:
You might be wondering why you’ve not heard much from us recently..

Me:
I thought you have moved on doing something you may really excel in.. like carpentry?

Julian:
you still have to be quick to grab your favourite bagel on Fridays (cinnamon and raisin in my case)…

Me:
Really? That is bad. No one has done anything about it?

Julian:
Being part of an organization such as Microsoft however, gives you the opportunity to access fantastic new technology...

Me:
Have they provided you with a new cell phone? WOW! How nice of them if they have.

Julian:
Since the new year we’ve been burning the midnight oil

Me:
Awww, that good old midnight oil lamp that must have been burning since the early days. Must take a lot of time to refill, not leaving any time to do proper development work? I got a spare lamp here that uses electricity. Let me know and you can have it. Anything to help you out and free your hands for development so you can continue to provide a first class service.

Julian:
First things first..

Me:
Are you saying I shall better sit down?

Julian:
Multimap is now the lead consumer mapping experience for Live Search in the UK, and we’re proud to welcome all the UK users of Live Search Maps to Multimap.com

Me:
Only 'now'? I thought you always have been? Anyway..
NO WAY! That must be AWESOME for you. Must be like redirecting all Google traffic to mysearch.com. Thank you for your warm welcome. You’re such a nice person (someone who likes cinnamon and raisin bagels, ay!), perhaps you can help me? I actually was looking for maps.live.com. Can you tell me where I may find it? Don't worry, you can use crayons to draw up some directions.

Julian:
It may have been a while since you last used Multimap.com

Me:
I didn't know you actually will notice that I wasn't around much recently..well.. over the last couple of years. You really must have been counting your site hits? My sincere apologies. No ill feelings I hope buddy? Will a cinnamon and raisin bagel make up for all the shed tears?

Julian:
..but we hope that you’ll find all the great features that you’re used to, plus much more

Me:
Well, we have to talk about some features I can't find. Like hybrid view, tilt, free rotate, 3D views, zoom in/out using a mouse wheel, the smaller map size, smooth moving from map region to map region..just to name a view. Probably it's just silly me. But man, I really like the ads and all the weather stuff. Good, hard work! Here, have a cinnamon and raisin bagel for that!

Julian:
We’ve also taken the opportunity to update all our aerial imagery using Virtual Earth’s fabulous high-resolution images

Me:
Are you saying you ditched your great old pics? Well, can't blame you. Virtual Earth really got fabulous high-resolution images that no one can beat. I hope you did let them have a cinnamon and raisin bagel for their kindness?

Julian:
Some of you have told us you want a mapping site that works over slow connections – so we created the new “basic maps” site

Me:
Thanks guys. It works like a breeze with my 9600K modem. I really appreciate that and your simple basic API. Thanks god someone got rid of all the frills and whistles. Have a cinnamon and raisin bagel for that.

See ya later old sport!

Martin

PS: Just in case my entry does get lost on your blog, you can also read it on http://hottapcoldtap.blogspot.com and you can email me at [myfirstname]@invent2b.com

1 comment:

Julian Skeels said...

Martin - I feel like i'm having my Warhol 15 minutes of fame, so thanks for that. I do hope however that the label you made especially for me won't be used too often...

You may be aware that the UK Live Maps site has been restored, and there will be a follow up some time later to explain some more.

Thanks for your comments, constructive or otherwise, and make mine a cinnamon and raison bagel (with extra cream cheese)!